I don’t know why some people think adulthood should be all work and no play. Boring! Well, unless your work is to play, then, two gold stars for you. Nothing bores me more than seeing people who live phony lives. They make small talk about their jobs, their kids, the weather, politics or any topic that seems void of any real substance. It’s just the usual rigmarole to make you seem more likable or sociable. SNORE. It’s as if they’ve forgotten how to let go and enjoy life—like kids.
Children are untethered by norms and conformity we adults place on ourselves. Kids do what they feel, say what they think, can find reasons to smile in the simplest of things and are unapologetic about who they are. Here are some kid cues to have fun as an adult.
1. Stop and smell the flowers.
2. Take a bike ride.
3. Play your favorite game from childhood.
4. Swing on a swing.
5. Enjoy an ice cream cone.
6. Dance like no one is watching.
7. Go to a carnival.
8. Watch cartoons.
9. Finger paint.
10. Go to a discovery museum. 11. Watch fireworks.
12. Walk in the grass barefoot.
13. Pet a friendly animal.
14. Feed the birds.
15. Go down a slide.
16. Have a water balloon fight.
17. Go to a jump zone or moon bounce.
18. Laugh out loud.
19. Take fun(ny) pictures and share them.
20. Sleep in late.
21. Have breakfast for dinner.
22. Jump into a pool or ball pit.
24. Catch fireflies (aka lighting bugs).
25. Ride a ride at a carnival, fair or amusement park.
26. Eat with your hands.
27. Go on a bike ride.
28. Explore your neighborhood.
29. Make silly faces.
30. Read a fun and carefree book.
31. Tell a joke.
32. Build something fun.
33. Play with balloons.
34. Smile for the sake of smiling.
35. Play in sprinklers on a hot day.
36. Jump in a puddle.
37. Make a snow angel on a winter’s day.
38. Make a sand castle on a summer’s day.
39. Throw leaves in the air on an autumn’s day.
40. Admire wildflowers on a spring day.
41. Chew bubble gum and blow bubbles.
42. Fly a kite.
43. Say “hello” to a stranger just because.
44. Skip rocks.
45. Write in a journal.
46. Make a wish on a star.
47. Play in the rain.
48. Get a temporary tattoo.
49. Put together a puzzle.
50. Eat two desserts.
You may also like:
HI. I'M AWET.
A simple soul who likes to engage the world in meaningful ways in the hopes of inspiring others.
SHARING IS CARING
SAVE $40 ON YOUR STAY
TOP 5 POSTS
GET 10% OFF